Saturday, April 30, 2011

Exploring St. Kilda




Our apartment is small, but it's right across from the beach and a block from the happening Fitzroy Street in St. Kilda. St. Kilda is a beach town 15 minutes South of Melbourne proper.

On our arrival day, we went for a walk on the beach, where we saw a dead sting ray, starfish, and the world's biggest jelly fish washed up on shore. The sunset was amazing, and the sun seemed so huge. After the beach, we walked through a park with lots of runners, palm trees, and a hippie doing the hula hoop - reminding me of the Haight-Ashbury area in San Francisco. Then we walked up and down Fitzroy Street and stopped for a bite at an Italian restaurant. The food was okay, but I was nervous when I got the bill. Prices are steep in Australia, but we've heard tipping is not a common practice as the waiters are paid a salary which compensates for tips. Still, it felt weird to not leave a tip, so I did this time.

We stopped by a crowded bar on the way home to try a Virginia Bitters Australian beer, which it turns out is called Victoria Bitters. After the bartender and I got that sorted out, and I tried to figure out how many ounces are in the 225 ml beer (it seems really small), we headed outside to breathe the smell of cigarettes. I met a friend out there who bikes. He invited me to go biking on one of the world's best road biking trails on Sunday. Though he was 'admittedly pickled,' he actually followed through with an email and we're all set to ride. He's providing a bike and new tubes for the bike. I can't wait. We went home and alternated between watching rugby and the royal wedding of Prince William and Kate.

3 comments:

  1. A 12 oz can of soda is 330 ml - so your beer was quite small!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nathan and Dana-I just Googled "angel shark"-you're right-it does look like that!

    ReplyDelete