Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Footy Fever

Sydney celebrates as Hawthorn is defeated.
On Saturday, we watched the AFL Grand Final over at Adam and Emily's place with some friends. This is Australia's version of the Super Bowl. You may remember last year's post about the game, when Meatloaf performed (and was terrible). If not, you can find it here. Anyway, this year an Australian band called The Temper Trap performed, so there was no Meatloaf drama. The Hawthorn Hawks played against the Sydney Swans this year. Our friends Kristy and Nigel are big Hawk fans, so we were kind of cheering for Hawthorn, but the Swans were originally based in South Melbourne, so we were okay with the fact that Sydney won by ten points in the end. It was a great game, and we ate the mandatory meat pies, drank some sangria, and had a yummy BBQ.

Oh yeah, and remember how I said each team has its own song? Well, check out the Sydney Swans song...


Did they steal Notre Dame's fight song or what?! (Skip to the 50 second mark of the video.)


Go Swans...Go Irish...whatever...Melbourne is done with its footy fever for another season!

5 comments:

  1. I wanted to play the two songs at the same time, but the Notre Dame song you chose is so much slower. I've never heard such a blatent rip off before. Notre Dame will probably not sue because it is not worth it. You are missing out on the political season over here in the States. The first presidential debate was on tv last night. Are their politics and such over there? Do people put up yard signs saying "Vote Mr. XXX for Drain Commissioner"?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I doubt Notre Dame even knows (or cares) about the copying. Yes, there are politics here, but nothing like in the US. I'm SO glad I'm missing election year-the commercials, the posters, the news reports-ugh!
      *blatant

      Delete
  2. Hi, I love reading about your adventures in AUS. I live in Denver and was looking around see blogs like this. Additionally, I've really gotten into footy for the past 2 years (watching online). I'm not sure if you saw the story but your St. Kilda Saints are coming to Colorado to so some "altitude" training end of Nov/ Beginning of Dec. I thought it was kind of cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is cool-wish I was there to see them. Thanks for reading, and say hi to Denver for us!

      Delete